To make an appointment at the Counseling Center, please call 205-348-3863 and ask to schedule an initial screening appointment with a counselor. The front desk will assist you with scheduling a first available appointment. If the appointment conflicts with class or other obligations, we can provide documentation of your appointment to bring to your professor.
What to Expect From Counseling
- Your first visit is a screening appointment
- First visits require you to complete initial paperwork. Please arrive 30 minutes early. If you are running late, please contact our front office. This paperwork is very helpful in evaluating your needs and helping connect you to the best resources to help get your needs met.
- After completing your paperwork, you will typically spend 20 to 30 minutes with a therapist.
- First visits are free
- The purpose of a first visit is to evaluate concerns and connect you to the most appropriate resources
- If your needs are beyond the Counseling Center’s scope of services we will assist you with a referral
- If your needs are within our scope of care you will be assigned to a counselor
- Once assigned to a counselor you will work together to develop goals and strategies to address your concerns
- Counseling is confidential
- Individual sessions typically last about 45-50 minutes
- Individual sessions are 15 dollars per session and are charged to your student account
- Up to 15 session are available per academic year
While You Wait
We want to be accessible to as many of our students as need our services. This sometimes means there is a wait for your initial screening visit. While you wait, please check out these resources: